Your annual NDIS review can be a little daunting, but if you are well prepared, it can have significant positive impact on your life.
The NDIS will review this plan once a year because your goals and needs change over time. You can bring someone with you to your annual review, such as a family member, friend, advisor, or carer. You can also ask someone to help you prepare for your annual review.
The annual review is done to make sure you are getting the support you need. If you want to, you can get some assistance with preparing for your annual review from a family member, carer, support coordinator or friend.
The NDIS annual review meeting will be used to reflect on the past year, assessing the extent to which the supports and services you have been receiving are helping address your needs and support your goals. Next to be reviewed is how your needs, goals and circumstances have changed since your last meeting. Use the opportunity to discuss what you liked and disliked about your plan over the last year. Also try to look to the future in terms of how your NDIS plan can help you achieve your more long term goals, and how your plan can help prevent any long term disability concerns you have. We have made some notes to help you prepare and get the most out of your annual review.
How to prepare before your meeting
You can prepare for your meeting by asking yourself some of these questions, and making notes of your answers:
- How well did your last NDIS pan worked for you over the past year?
- What worked well in your NDIS plan over the last year?
- What didn’t work well in your NDIS plan over the last year?
- How was your NDIS funding used over the last year?
- Were there any barriers to using your funding?
- What current needs do you have that are not being fulfilled?
- What additional services, supports or therapies you think would be beneficial to you?
- What changes would you like made from your previous NDIS plan? Go through your previous NDIS plan and make a note of changes you would like to discuss for your next NDIS plan.
- How well has your current NDIS plan helped you with your needs established in your last review, or with your needs established from your initial NDIS meeting?
- How well has your current NDIS plan helped you to achieve your short term goals from your last review?
- How well is your current NDIS plan helping you on your path to achieving your long term goals?
- What new needs do you have?
- Which goals are you still working on from your last review?
- What new goals do you have?
- Do you have any concerns about future challenges you might face due to your disability? Make a note of these concerns. If you know of any therapies that might help reduce or prevent these challenges, make a note of them.
You should also:
- Gather any assessments, reports, and quotes you have. If you have any recommendations from doctors or therapists in terms of therapies you could try, bring their recommendation along.
- Discuss these points with a family member, friend, carer, or advisor to get their input
- If you are taking someone with you to your annual NDIS review, go through your meeting notes with them.
- Write down your answers to the above questions, and anything else you think is important to discuss and take this with you to use during your review.
What to expect during your review
You will have your annual review with your local area coordinator (LAC) or NDIS Planner. Remember you can bring someone else along if you like. The review will be similar to your initial NDIS planning meeting. The delegate will ask you some questions about your needs, goals, challenges, support and funding. Remember to bring everything up you want to discuss, and show your delegate any assessments, reports and quotes you have brought with you. If you like, you or the person you bring along can take notes of the important points of the meeting so that you can look at them later.
How to review your new NDIS plan
Once you have had your meeting, you will receive a new NDIS plan for the year ahead. Go through carefully and make sure you are happy with it. If you pick up any issues with your new plan, contact your Local Area Coordinator or NDIS Planner immediately to discuss your concerns. If you are still not happy, you can request a review of your plan.
Can’t wait until your next review?
Remember that if your situation has changed significantly or you feel that your NDIS plan is not working for you, you can request a review at any time. You do not have to wait until it is time for your annual review if you would like to meet with the NDIS sooner.